Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies


Are you ready for the easiest cookie recipe ever? This is it. I feel silly looking back at all the times I've thrown away egg whites when the recipe calls for just yolks. Knowing how easy it is to make meringues pretty much guarantees that no egg white will go unused again!

I'm not gonna go so far as to call this a healthy cookie because there a decent amount of sugar in these, but as far as cookies go these are definitely on the healthy end of the spectrum. They are essentially fat free. No butter, no oil, no egg yolks. Just egg whites and sugar.

If you've never had a meringue before they are hard to explain. The exterior is crackly and crispy but the inside is so light and airy. I love the way it practically dissolves in your mouth when you take a bite.

A few notes about the recipe:
  1. Make sure your egg white are at room temperature. Separate them when they are cold, then let the egg whites sit for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
  2. Temperature. I saw some recipes that said to cook at 200 degrees for a long period of time (1.5 - 2 hours) and some recipes that said to cook at 300 degrees for a shorter period of time. I went right in the middle. I cooked them at 250 for about an hour. Then I turned off the oven and let them sit in the oven for about another hour.
  3. Working with egg whites. Make sure your bowl is very clean and dry, otherwise you will never get your whites to stiffen.
  4. Sugar. The recipe calls for extra fine sugar. I used regular sugar and pulsed it in the food processor for about 30 seconds. Don't overdo it though, you don't want powder.
  5. Chocolate. I used mini chocolate chips and I took a knife to about 1/3 of them and chopped them really really finely. This gave the cookies more a of a speckled look which I liked.
Chocolate Chip Meringues
Recipe: Inspired from SmittenKitchen
Ingredients:
  • 3 egg whites room temperature
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cups of superfine sugar
  • 6 oz mini chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 200°F.

  2. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt, cream of tartar and vanilla, and beat mixture again until it holds soft peaks.

  3. Add the sugar, gradually, beating the batter until it is stiff.

  4. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets (or pipe the batter if you want). Bake for 1 hour, rotating the pans half way through cooking. After 1 hour, turn off the oven. Let the meringues sit in the oven for 1 - 2 hours.

13 comments:

Manju said...

this does look super easy! im gonna try this soon! :)

Ali said...

"Easy." That's the magic word.

I go through phases where I seem to gravitate towards recipes that have eleventy thousand steps. It's so refresing to see an easy recipe but with an equally awesome reward.

pigpigscorner said...

What a great idea!

Plain Chicken said...

These look good! I have a carton of egg whites in the fridge. I'll have to try these this weekend.

cookies and cups said...

I have tried meringues ony one time before...many many years ago and didn't have very good luck...BUT they are definitely worth another shot ~ and adding chocolate chips to them is brilliant!

Unknown said...

There look quite tasty,hope to read more of your blog soon

Sherry G said...

Looks easy and tasty! Nice work!

Liz said...

These look great! I'd like to try them with a little cocoa powder and peanut butter chips.
About how many did the recipe make?

My Man's Belly said...

Love meringues! These look great with chocolate chips...had some like this in Paris and the chocolate is the perfect ingredient.

SugarCooking said...

Liz - I think they made about 18 - 20, but I don't remember exactly. I made mine fairly large too. You could definitely make them smaller and get more.

najwa hamid said...

i love am gonna make it today

Anonymous said...

These look simple enough to throw together, especially because the ingredients are normally on-hand. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My mom made these every Christmas. She would add red or green food coloring to make them festive!

Post a Comment